About Design Ventura
Design Ventura challenges students in years 9, 10 and 11 to design a new product for the Design Museum shop.
Design Ventura, the Design Museum’s flagship learning project, is an opportunity for students to develop design thinking, creative and business capabilities and employability skills. The project was launched in 2010 in partnership with Deutsche Bank, as part of the bank’s youth engagement programme, Born to Be, and has seen over 47,000 students in 700 schools participate.
Teachers are offered training and resources to develop their own professional practice and to run the project in school with the support of design and business industry experts.
Students, working in teams, are asked to consider the whole process of design, from initial ideas to manufacturing and budgets to marketing and branding.
The top ten teams are invited to a pitching event at the Design Museum and the winning team, announced at the Celebration Event, go on to work with a professional design team to develop their idea and see it on sale the Design Museum Shop.Register your school
Support and benefits for registered schools:
- Supports the delivery of the Design and Technology curriculum, including the new D&T GCSE specification (KS3 and GCSE mapping can be found here – you will need to be logged in)
- Free teacher CPD sessions, including regional and live online sessions for 2016-17, with pathways to Goldsmiths College MA in Design Education
- Free workshops supported by design and industry professionals
- Online resources, including workshop plans, films and step through process
- Flexible project structure that can be run as an extra-curricular activity, a STEM/STEAM project or towards CREST awards or Arts Mark
- Support from the Design Museum team
- All participating students receive certificates
- The top ten ideas are displayed in a public exhibition at the Design Museum
- Winners will work with professional designers to see their idea manufactured and sold in the Design Museum shop
Who can take part?
- Students in years 9, 10 and 11
- UK state schools
- Minimum of 4 students per school, no maximum
- D&T, A&D, Business & Enterprise Students and related creative subjects
- Independent and international schools are welcome to participate in the project but we are unable to offer free workshops and they will compete for a separate prize. For more details please contact the Ventura team.
Design Ventura Staff
Freelance Educator Freelance Educator
The world’s leading museum devoted to contemporary design in every form from architecture and fashion to graphics, product and industrial design. The Design Museum opened in its spectacular new location in the former Commonwealth Institute building on High Street Kensington on 24 November, 2017. The Museum is an international showcase for the many design skills at which Britain excels and a creative centre, promoting innovation and nurturing the next generation of design talent.
Learning is at the heart of the museum with provision from early years through formal learning to adult courses and the varied public programmes of events.Our values Plan your visit Find out more
The Design Museum shop aims to sell the most beautiful, innovative, intelligently designed products and publications from around the world. It operates through two retail spaces at the new site in Kensington and through the online shop.Find out more Shop website
The Design Museum’s collection is an important record of the key designs that have shaped the modern world. It tells the history of mass production, from the manufacturing innovations of the nineteenth century up to the digital and making revolution of the last few years.The Collection Design objects Designer Maker User