Example Submission: 2018 Family Stuff Fund
As the deadline for Design Ventura approaches, we wanted to look back at the submission that won ‘commendation for most market ready product’ back in Design Ventura 2018.
The judges loved Spalding School’s Family Stuff Fund. The panel liked that the idea improved every day life for one of the Design Museum Shop’s target users – families. This was well demonstrated thorough development, prototyping and research.
Below is their submission form and A3 sheets. We’d like to highlight some of the strengths and some areas for improvement from their submission, things to look out for when submitting for Design Ventura 2019.
- Clarity – the layout is clear and easy to understand. The sheets clearly communicate what the product is and show the design process. Also, each sheet has the name of the school at the bottom.
- Design Development – the sheets show the design process. They include initial sketches of the idea, research into similar existing products, photos of prototypes and ideas for packaging design.
- Budgeting – they have looked at costings and suppliers.
Areas for improvement:
- Further research – while they have shown good research of other similar products, some further research of the Design Museum Shop specifically could have been useful to show.
- User testing and feedback – including feedback on their design by their target audience would have strengthened this entry.
- Sustainability – more information about how they plan to minimise the negative impact of their product on the environment would have strengthened this entry.
The Spalding High School team made it into the Design Ventura 2018 top ten shortlist with this submission. They pitched their ideas to our expert judges at the Pitching Event in December and were awarded ‘commendation for most market ready product’ at the Celebration Event in February.
We can’t wait to see all the wonderful submissions for Design Ventura 2019!