Building the world's leading museum devoted to contemporary design - architecture and fashion to graphics, product and industrial design.
The Design Museum is relocating to the former Commonwealth Institute building and open on 24 November 2016. The Design Museum Kensington will be the world’s leading museum of contemporary design and architecture, an international showcase for the many design skills at which Britain excels and a creative centre, promoting innovation and nurturing the next generation of design talent.
The move will give the museum three times more space than in its current location at Shad Thames. The new museum includes the Swarovski Foundation Centre for Learning, the Sackler Library, the 194-seat Bakala Auditorium, and a dedicated gallery to display its permanent collection, which will be accessible free of charge.
- Welcoming everyone to the museum and making them feel it’s a place for them
- Collaborative engaging with many partners to bring our vision to life
- Enterprising working hard to make the museum a financial success and build a strong commercial reputation
- Provocative challenging people to look and think afresh about design
We inspire and equip visitors to look and think afresh about design, we:
- Make things simple: intellectually and visually clear and memorable
- Make things personal: resonant and meaningful, appropriate, conversational, questioning
- Make things active: current and changing, hands-on and exploratory, opportunities to input
- Make things connect: in the sense of providing context and connecting ideas, and also connecting people
The Design Museum’s collection is an important record of the key designs that have shaped the modern world. It tells the history of mass production, from the manufacturing innovations of the nineteenth century up to the digital and making revolution of the last few years. The collection spans all aspects of design including architecture, fashion, furniture, product and graphic design, digital media and transport.
Download the Design Museum collection app